Environmental, Social and Governance – commonly known as ESG - has become a critical consideration for businesses and organisations across the globe.
The significance is two-fold; failure to address ESG may have a serious financial and reputational impact, but there is also recognition of the significant opportunities for organisations who address and embrace these factors. As investors, customers, regulators and society increasingly focus on ESG, it has become a fast moving and complex area for businesses and organisations to navigate and manage.
Our cross-firm ESG team provides support and advice to public and private sector organisations on all aspects of ESG, including:
- environmental impacts, climate and sustainability;
- impacts on society and managing relationships with colleagues, suppliers, customers and communities (including diversity and inclusion, human rights, supply chain, corruption and bribery); and
- governance and compliance, focusing on visibility and accountability, risks, threats and opportunities, and long term value creation.
Environmental, Social and Governance key highlights
- Providing strategic advice to a retailer, manufacturer and importer on the Scottish Government's deposit return for drinks containers.
- Advising pension scheme trustees on how ESG factors fit with their legal duties to act in the best interests of members.
- Advising a landowner in relation to health & safety implications of green spaces provided on housing developments.
- Advising Scottish Widows on its first sustainability-linked loan provided to a UK housing association, as well as its debut SLL in any sector in Scotland.
- Supporting Citi, BNP Paribas and UK Export Finance on their first green transition loan, for Wood plc, to invest in low carbon growth areas linked to energy transition.
- Structuring and formation of several funds with ESG focused strategies for Gresham House Asset Management.
The practice has an exemplary ESG service and are always willing to get involved.Legal 500 UK 2024
They are always open to exploring potential synergies to make client interactions more effective.Legal 500 UK 2024
Brodies have proved responsive, client-focused and extremely knowledgeable. They show a real strength in depth with respect to Scots law matters, and we have had an excellent experience working with their strong lawyers.Legal 500 UK 2024