Our extensive oil and gas industry experience has earned our team a formidable reputation in the sector. Our lawyers have significant in-house experience working with and for major oil and gas operators and service companies, in the UK and overseas.
That experience gives us a deep understanding of our clients’ commercial imperatives and the drivers and risks within the oil and gas sector. Our oil and gas lawyers advise on all aspects of offshore and onshore activity, both in the UK and internationally, and our ability to provide expert advice to both upstream and service sector clients sets us apart from our competitors.
The team is made up of very talented lawyers, most of which have either spent time working in-house before joining Brodies, or have been seconded in-house during their time with the firm. The result is a group of lawyers that provide very useful, pragmatic legal support with an appreciation of what is and is not important to in-house counsel.
We specialise in all legal aspects of the oil and gas sector's activities – from start-up and exploration through the drilling and production phases, to decommissioning, with significant experience in corporate/asset acquisitions and disposals and related diligence exercises. We provide a wide ranging level of services to our oil and gas clients, from ad-hoc advice on everyday issues, like execution deeds and general contractual queries, to strategic and transformational matters including mergers and acquisitions.
As experienced corporate solicitors, we understand the impact that factors such as entering new regions, technological advances, environmental considerations and attracting new investment can have on your business. In addition, our clients also benefit from Brodies’ breadth of legal expertise, which complements the oil and gas team’s specialist sector knowledge, in areas such as regulatory, shipping, health and safety, competition law, IP/IT and employment.
Really good depth across the team with a wide range of experience in oil and gas matters ranging from projects to disputes and employment. Lots of good knowledge and different teams within Brodies work well together to make it easy for the client.Legal 500 UK 2024
A dedicated resource for oil and gas companies with practical and relevant experience, rather than being a team inflated by the inclusion of other solicitors who happen to have participated in transactions with oil and gas companies.Legal 500 UK 2024
The oil and gas team at Brodies is fantastic. It can handle matters in a way that makes the most complex of issues understandable.Chambers UK 2024
A great strength of Brodies is that the appropriate person can be brought in for specialist situations.Chambers UK 2024
Oil & Gas key highlights
- Brodies acted as sole external legal adviser to Japex E&P UK Limited in relation to all legal issues relating to the development of the Seagull discovery, including strategic and regulatory advice. This development is important to Japex because it is its first UKCS development. It also received the Oil & Gas UK MER UK award, which recognises innovative and sustainable ways to maximise economic recovery from the UKCS.
- Our team has more than 100 years’ combined experience working with, and for, oil and gas clients.
- 15 specialist oil and gas lawyers based in Aberdeen and focused exclusively on all aspects of oil and gas legal work.
- Our energy academy is a unique programme of informative and relevant seminars, providing legal updates and practical information within the energy sector - click here to find out more.
- Brodies is a member of the international network of experts Energy Law Group. The Energy Law Group (ELG) is the most extensive network of experts in energy, mining and natural resources law in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.