Planning, Environment and Climate are critical areas of importance for many of our clients and their organisations. Our lawyers collaborate with our clients in navigating what are frequently complex and challenging issues against a rapidly evolving and complex regulatory background.
Our lawyers bring market leading expertise and knowledge to every client and situation; we also have wide ranging experience with regulators and those who are regulated. This gives us the perspective to provide the most commercial and pragmatic advice tailored to our clients’ needs, no matter whether the matter is contentious or non-contentious.
Their attention to detail is exemplary and they are on top of everything that’s going on in the planning world. They adapt and inform immediately of any changes to planning laws or potential issues. Can’t recommend them highly enough.Legal 500 UK 2024
Working with clients in the public and private sectors, our lawyers' expertise extends across strategic advice; prevention and assistance with risk management; consenting, including environmental impact assessment; compulsory purchase and compensation; due diligence and contractual protection mechanisms; prosecutions and regulatory matters; land development, contaminated land and remediation and health and safety. We have wide experience on and off shore: in urban and rural locations and dealing with sites protected for environmental sensitivity. Key sectors include real estate, renewable energy, infrastructure and housing.
We participate actively and are invested in strategic issues driving engagement and discussion with all stakeholders, helping to develop, influence and shape our market and future thinking.
Very knowledgeable, personable, experienced and professional team who can navigate the planning system both from a legal and practical perspective in a very user friendly and timely manner.Legal 500 UK 2024
They are very reasoned in their approach and they always represent their client's interest.Chambers UK 2024
Brodies' team provides a first-class breadth and depth of service.Chambers UK 2024
Brodies have a myriad of experts within their team that can be called upon to give specific advice on a certain area. We cannot recommend Brodies highly enough, they are worth their weight in gold.Legal 500 UK 2023
- Neil Collar and Elaine Farquharson-Black are recognised leaders in the planning arena, both individually top ranked by the legal directories.
- Phil Hunter is currently Vice Chair of UK Environmental Law Association (UKELA), the UKELA national council member for Scotland and an active member of the UKELA Brexit task force.
- Development of 550 homes, commercial and leisure facilities for Cognito Oak LLP at Cloverhill, Aberdeen. Includes first use in Scotland of hydrogen fuel cells.
- Lead adviser to Clyde Gateway in the ground breaking remediation of their Shawfield Phase 2 site (a key part of their masterplan).
- Coul Links, Highland - golf course affecting sites with natural heritage designations at national, European and international level.
- Niall McLean is a solicitor advocate routinely instructed in planning & environmental litigation for both public and private sector clients.