Brodies has assembled an exceptional team in public law, all of whom can be relied on to be completely up to date with the latest developments in the law, are extremely bright, interested and articulate in discussing it, and yet they still retain the ability to stand back from legal and factual complexity and apply common sense in order to achieve a practicable and workable outcome for their clients.Legal 500 UK 2024
Our public law and regulatory experts help to address legislative, economic and political developments, driving improvement in services, securing value for money and delivering change.
We advise local authorities, public bodies and commercial clients on all aspects of public law, from legislative matters and parliamentary advice, through to judicial review, local government, public procurement and statutory appeals, as well as raising and defending regulatory enforcement action.
Made up of accredited specialists, solicitor advocates, and lawyers with in-house local authority insight and experience in shaping law at the highest level, our public law and regulatory practice is sought by clients for politically, commercially and personally sensitive matters, as well as for those issues that are high profile and have the ability to significantly change the policy and constitutional landscape.
They have consistently provided valuable insight and guidance that has been highly relevant to our specific situations, with an impressive degree of both responsiveness and sensitivity.Chambers UK 2024
Brodies have a good level of knowledge and general ability to handle complex and sophisticated matters in a calm and reassuring manner.Chambers UK 2024
The team are knowledgeable, dependable and easy to work with, and they can competently cover all areas we require.Chambers UK 2024
Exceptional knowledge of a relatively obscure area of the law relating to regulatory affairs in the public sector.Legal 500 UK 2024
Public Law & Regulation key highlights
- Two of our solicitor advocates are standing juniors to the Scottish Government.
- Our team includes one of just three accredited specialists in procurement in Scotland.
- We act for a number of Scottish and UK Regulators which provides us with excellent insight into their approach to regulation.
- Our local government practice covers all areas of local authority service delivery including education, social care, housing, roads, and environmental and planning services.
- We regularly advise commercial clients facing challenges by regulators including in the social and health care sectors and in relation to environmental regulation.
- Clients in range of sectors welcome our advice and support on governance and decision-making.