Our dedicated renewables practice consists of industry expert lawyers advising developers, generators, off-takers, investors, lenders and landowners across the UK on all aspects of the energy transition and projects in the renewable and low carbon sector.
Our team advises on the entire lifecycle of energy projects. We advise on developing projects, including obtaining land and resource rights, as well as project consents. We represent clients on building, operating and financing projects as well as refinancing and the sale and purchase of projects. Most of all we have all the skills – from crofting and rural land law to specialist PPA and financing expertise – to deliver any project in the sector.
Excellent energy sector knowledge. The team at Brodies are unrivalled in their understanding of the UK energy market and applicable legislation. They are a go-to for interpreting new regulation or policy, which there has been a lot of that over the previous 12 months.Legal 500 UK 2024
The breadth of infrastructure/energy experience is a real strength of this team, coupled with their versatility.Legal 500 UK 2024
The Brodies Energy team are very responsive, effective and provide a good and practical level of advice. They understand a client’s needs and require minimum direction.Legal 500 UK 2024
We have expertise in the renewables power sector – including wind, solar, bioenergy, tidal and hydro – and the heat sector – including gas and renewables-based CHP, district and local heat networks and low carbon gas projects. Our team also has experience in the sectors that will shape the energy transition, including the emerging hydrogen and low carbon transport sectors.
Renewable Energy key highlights
- We can count many market firsts and landmark projects among our achievements, including representing a leading investment fund on the purchase of one of the first merchant solar projects in the UK, working with a leading developer on the financing of one of the first merchant wind farms in the UK and advising a funder in respect of a portfolio of pumped storage hydro schemes in Scotland.
- Advised Aberdeen City Council on the purchase and fuelling of its green hydrogen buses fleet.
- Advised Orbital Marine on its £7million crowdfunding investment through Abundance to finance construction of the world's most powerful tidal stream turbine.
- Glenshimmeroch wind farm, Dumfries & Galloway – obtaining planning permission on appeal for 36 MW total installed capacity.
- Brodies is a member of the international network of experts Energy Law Group. The Energy Law Group (ELG) is the most extensive network of experts in energy, mining and natural resources law in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
At Brodies we can advise on the full lifecycle of a renewables project.
At Brodies we can advise on the full lifecycle of a renewables project. We start at the beginning with taking options over land rights and obtaining planning consents. We assist with securing grid connection offers on suitable terms. We help procure the turbines and the balance of plant infrastructure. We advise on the sale of power, long term PPAs and financing the development.