Elaine advises on all aspects of planning, compulsory purchase and compensation with considerable expertise in housebuilding. She has helped to secure planning permission for thousands of new homes across Scotland and regularly appears as an advocate in planning appeals and reviews.
Elaine regularly advises on high profile, large scale projects, and is widely viewed as a standout planning practitioner in the Aberdeen market.
Living Brodies' values
Elaine is known for taking a collaborative, strategic view and being constructive with both clients and statutory bodies.
- A director of Homes for Scotland which represents 200 organisations which together deliver 95% of new homes for sale each year
- A director of Aberdeen Inspired, the city centre business improvement district company.
- Co-author of 'Scottish Planning Law and Procedure and Compulsory Purchase and Compensation: The Law in Scotland.'
- Ranked in Band 1 for Planning in Chambers UK 2024.
- Ranking as a 'Leading Individual' for Planning by Legal 500 UK 2024.
- Accredited as a specialist in planning law by the Law Society of Scotland for over 20 years.
"Elaine Farquharson-Black is an exceptional solicitor in the planning and compulsory purchase field. Her connections and understanding of the area along with the ability to create and find solutions make her our go-to planning lawyer."Legal 500 UK 2024
"Elaine Farquharson-Black is an exceedingly knowledgeable and driven solicitor who continually exceeds expectations in the delivery solutions."Legal 500 UK 2024
"Elaine Farquharson-Black is a first-class planning lawyer who is very responsive, helpful and commercially aware."Chambers UK 2024
"She is aligned with the needs of her clients and the sector and has an understanding of local house builders."Chambers UK 2024