Greg has 26 years' experience in the Oil & Gas sector and has worked extensively in-house, with 11 years at GlobalSantaFe/Transocean. Prior to joining Brodies in April 2011, he was General Counsel for the Europe and Africa Business Unit, based in Paris.
Greg has experience in drafting complex and high value service sector contracts, including turnkey and project management drilling projects for the design, engineering and construction of wells and high value day rate drilling contracts, ranging from deepwater drill ships to shallow water jack-ups. He is qualified in both English and US law and a member of the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators.
Living Brodies' values
Greg is a consummate team player who has a collaborative approach when working with colleagues, clients, and professionals in the oil and gas industry.
- Contributed to the 3rd Edition of “Oil & Gas Law – Current Practice & Emerging Trends”.
- Co-founded and has a pivotal role in delivering the "Contracting Compass Seminar Series" - an initiative providing insight on issues of English law relevant to oil and gas contracts.
- Draws on significant in-house experience to provide strategic advice on high profile projects within organisations, many involving new and innovative business models.
- A key contributor to Brodies' membership of the Energy Law Group.
- Ranked individual in Energy & Natural Resources: Oil & Gas by Chambers UK 2024.
- Leading Individual in Oil & Gas by Legal 500 UK 2024.
Greg is an outstanding lawyer. Given his extensive in-house experience and years in the industry, he knows exactly what clients need.Legal 500 UK 2024
Greg May is without challenge the best-in-class private practice counsel globally, for upstream oil and gas service sector mandates.Legal 500 UK 2023
Greg always gets and anticipates what is important to the client and makes sure accurate, commercially focused, reliable and succinct advice is provided on time.Chambers UK 2023
Greg May makes himself available 24/7 and has unrivalled experience in the service sector, which makes him my “go-to” for expert oil and gas contract advice.’Legal 500 UK 2022