Joan specialised in employment law early in her career. She is an experienced litigator and has specialist expertise in the impact of professional regulation on the employment relationship, executive hire and dismissal, discrimination and employment policy development.
She has particular interest in cases involving sexual harassment and mental health. Her industrial relations experience is also often in demand. More recently she has lead the development of the firm’s online employment law advisory system.
Her client base is broad and includes public sector, construction, energy, finance and transport sectors. She represents both UK household names and indigenous Scottish businesses.
Living Brodies' values
Joan is a natural collaborator and problem-solver. She sees the world through the client's lens - never forgetting the commercial backdrop and relationship dimension of the cases she is advising on.
- Spent time in as an inhouse lawyer which influences her approach to advice and informs her communication style.
- Is responsible for the coordination of the firm's international strategy.
- Is the Scottish Board member for the European Employment Lawyer's Association and Co-chair of the Terralex Labour and Employment Group.
- Ranked Band 1 in Employment for Chambers UK 2024.
- Legal 500 UK 'Hall of Fame' since 2018.
- Joan is a Law Society of Scotland Accredited Specialist in Employment Law.
Joan Cradden is top of the class for employment matters and I could not recommend her services highly enough. She is tenacious and thorough in dealing with matters on behalf of the client.Legal 500 UK 2024
I worked with Joan Cradden, whose representation was skilled, compassionate and showed absolute commitment.Chambers UK 2024
Joan Cradden brings a wealth of experience and knowledge delivered in a sage-like manner.Legal 500 UK 2023
Joan Cradden is a highly skilled technical expert and a go to person for really complex items.""She's delightful to work with and gives very practical, client oriented advice.Chambers UK 2023