Martin is an experienced corporate lawyer, having practised for over 21 years, dealing with all aspects of private company mergers, acquisitions, disposals and restructures. He assists clients to achieve their commercial objectives, providing strategic and contractual advice.
Martin works mainly in the Energy and Technology sectors, advising many different types of companies from major listed energy companies to start-ups with high-growth potential. Martin has a growing involvement in Cleantech opportunities.
Living Brodies' values
Clients appreciate Martin's pragmatic and goals-oriented approach, which places clients' commercial objectives at the heart of the solutions he proposes. He takes care to understand what matters and then collaborates effectively to make it happen.
- Martin has devoted a significant amount of time over the last three years to mentoring energy technology start-ups with high-growth potential.
- He authored a chapter within a leading oil & gas law textbook on the subject of "Technology in the Oilfield".
- He has been made an (honorary) Associate of the University of Aberdeen's Centre for Energy Law.
- A key contributor to Brodies' membership of the Energy Law Group.
- Ranked as a "Leading Individual" in Legal 500 UK in 2024.
- Rated "Partner of the Year" by the energy technology start-ups that participated in the Oil & Gas Technology Centre's accelerator programme, TechX.
- Martin is Immediate Past President of the Society of Advocates in Aberdeen.
Martin Ewan offers a high level of creativity in dealing with the dynamics of the parties.Legal 500 UK 2024
Martin Ewan takes the time to understand not only the issues at hand, but what may play out, and offers sage advice as part of the solution.Legal 500 UK 2024
Martin Ewan is the stand-out partner and primary reason for us moving to Brodies. He understands our space and has built a remarkable network internally and externally that enables him to guide us in the right direction regardless of our requirement. This quality, aside from his competence and professionality which are a given, is a clear differentiator for us during a pivotal period of significant growth.Legal 500 UK 2023
Martin Ewan is not only exceptionally professional and knowledgeable in his field, he is more importantly extremely approachable. He has cultivated a strong team around him through his skills as both a mentor and having a keen eye for talent. He is passionate about he work he delivers always going above and beyond to deliver an excellent service.Legal 500 UK 2023