Experienced adviser, inquiry advocate, blogger, author and conference speaker – Neil is one of Scotland's best known planning lawyers.
He has over 25 years’ experience as a planning lawyer. His work spans all aspects of the planning process, planning applications, appeals and inquiries (including inquiry advocacy), court actions, planning issues in relation to land acquisition and disposal, compulsory purchase and compensation, listed buildings and conservation areas, and trees.
Neil's experience includes strategic development, regeneration areas, renewable energy, housing, retail, build to rent, student accommodation, hotels, offices, sport and leisure, and minerals.
Living Brodies' values
Neil considers the bigger picture, is collaborative and produces clear and concise advice, using his in-depth knowledge of planning law.
- Legal Associate of the Royal Town Planning Institute.
- Accredited as a specialist in planning law by the Law Society of Scotland.
- Working on the fifth edition of his book 'Planning', first published in 1994.
- Follow Neil on Twitter for regular updates.
- Ranked in Band 1 for Planning in Chambers UK 2024.
- Identified as a 'Leading individual' in Tier 1 for Planning by Legal 500 UK 2024.
- The Planning team were shortlisted for Planning magazine’s Planning Law Firm of the Year in 2018.
‘Neil Collar is a consummate professional and leader in his field. He has worked with us on a very challenging planning application and has achieved excellent results. He is thorough, calm and has a wonderful ability to explain very complex legal jargon in layman’s terms.’Legal 500 UK 2024
‘We consider Neil Collar to be the finest legal mind with regards to onshore renewables in Scotland. We find his experience, insight and strategic approach invaluable to delivering our work.’Legal 500 UK 2024
'Neil Collar is absolutely fabulous and the expert of experts when it comes to planning in Scotland.'Chambers UK 2024
'Neil Collar’s calm, patient and thoughtful manner underpinned by a razor-sharp legal mind make him a joy to work with. He really stands out for his ability to explain the most complex of legal matters, sees the underlying issues and offers insightful solutions.'Legal 500 UK 2023