Stephen is Head of Litigation and a recognised expert in dispute resolution. With a reputation gained from over 20 years’ experience of dealing with highly contentious and business critical matters for clients across the UK and internationally, he specialises in solving contractual and asset-related disputes involving energy (in particular oil and gas), real estate, infrastructure and finance issues.
Stephen advises clients (both domestic and international) in a broad range of dispute arenas including arbitration, mediation and court. Commercial litigation, lease enforcement (including complex dilapidations and repairing issues) together with portfolio debt recovery are also part of his repertoire. He has led and advised on high value cases involving contractual interpretation and misrepresentation claims which have been determined by the Supreme Court in London. International arbitration (through LCIA and ICC) is an active area of his practice.
Living Brodies' values
Clients and colleagues appreciate his collaborative, commercially astute and solutions focused approach.
- A member of the firm's Operational Board, and prior to that an elected member of the firm's Strategic Board, which is responsible for the overall management and implementation of the firm's strategic plans.
- Since 2010, he has been leading the firm's International Bar Association (IBA) team through attendance and contribution at global conferences and events.
- Head of Litigation at Brodies LLP for 5 years and a partner for 15 years.
- Chair of the Scottish PLA (Property Litigation Association).
- Ranked Band 1 in Real Estate Litigation by Chambers UK 2023.
- Ranked by Legal 500 UK 2023 as 'Hall of Fame' leading individual for Property Litigation.
- Recommended by Legal 500 UK 2023 for Commercial Litigation / Debt Recovery.
Stephen Goldie stands out among his competitors. His advice is very well considered with regards to the type of dispute.Legal 500 UK 2024
The standout performer in this team is Stephen Goldie. His advice is concisely delivered, insightful, intelligent and commercial.Legal 500 UK 2024
Stephen is a first-class lawyer heading up a very strong team.Chambers UK 2024
He is a real litigation heavyweight while maintaining an approachable and friendly nature.Chambers UK 2024