We are at the forefront of activity across Scotland's living sector, with significant experience across all tenure types, including private housing, social & affordable housing, student accommodation, multifamily / build to rent (BTR), senior and co-living.
Applying expertise, local knowledge and market connections, colleagues from our real estate, planning, construction, banking, tax and government, regulatory and competition teams advise on the full lifecycle of living schemes, from planning to site assembly, construction, funding and leasing, housing management and registered social landlord governance and finance. We provide strategic, tailored advice to help stakeholders navigate the intricacies of delivering residential development across Scotland and achieve the optimum outcome.
Our Living Sector team includes:
- real estate experts in strategic land management, site acquisition and disposals. Our extensive experience spans site assembly, negotiating options, promotion and collaboration agreements, developing under licence, and site set-up. In addition, our dedicated plot sales team uses market leading technology to provide a bespoke, client-led service;
- experience grounded in many of the most high-profile alternative residential sector deals in the market in recent years, acting for investors and developers across single family and multifamily BTR, co-living, student accommodation, care and retirement living. That experience includes leasing, investment and development, cross-border deals and in forward funding and forward commitment transactions, representing occupiers, investors, developers and funders and other parties providing debt to these projects;
- specialist social and affordable housing lawyers who support the Scottish Housing Regulator and registered social landlords, and the delivery of affordable housing. That support comprises governance and regulatory matters, housing management, charity law, procurement and competition law, information governance, health and safety, debt recovery and finance transactions, including loan agreements, private placements, bond issues and security work; and
- our top tier-ranked planning team, who provide a 'conception to completion' service for developments. We act for developers and local authorities across all asset classes in the sector, with particular experience in negotiating agreements on education, transport and infrastructure improvements required for large scale residential development.
The scale of our living sector practice brings us into frequent contact with landowners, estates and commercial clients with potential development land throughout Scotland. This gives our clients valuable access to market knowledge, operators and opportunities and enables us to work collaboratively. We have the capacity to field multi-disciplinary teams and employ project management skills across major projects throughout the living sector.
Living sector key highlights
- We acted on the first SONIA-based loan facilities provided to Scottish-based social housing providers.
- We are the principal legal advisers to the Scottish Housing Regulator, and adviser to many registered social landlords.
- We have worked in partnership with clients to develop innovative solutions to complex housing delivery issues.
- Our partner Elaine Farquharson-Black is a board member of Homes for Scotland.
The team at Brodies have a wide range of skills and a reputation for reliable advice across the wide spectrum of social housing issues. They are innovative in their thinking and offer prompt, personable and exceptionally professional tailored advice in a timely fashion.Legal 500 UK 2024
Brodies is a trusted adviser. The experts there work well together so that you get the right advice from the right people.Chambers UK 2024
Brodies are very responsive to the needs of our department in order that we receive the best outcome.Chambers UK 2024
Great engagement, and particularly good to see a hands-on approach taken by the partners and other senior members of the team, which we value greatly.Chambers UK 2024