Our team of dedicated experts work with landed estates, farm and rural businesses of all types and sizes in relation to all aspects of their business.
With more accredited agricultural specialists than any other Scottish firm, our expertise extends from agricultural holdings to compulsory purchase, from wind farms to fish farms, in addition to transacting farms, forests, moors, estates and crofts.
Recognising the wide range of challenges and opportunities that the agricultural sector faces, we provide support in relation to matters such as the resolution of disputes, farming partnerships, contract farming and innovative business structures. Our support and expertise also extends to all forms of land management, such as utility wayleaves, telecoms and planning issues. In the renewables sector, we have extensive experience in the lifecycle of wind, solar, AD and hydro projects.
Drawing on expertise from across our firm, we provide advice across the full spectrum of land business matters, including tax, succession planning, employment and litigation - a unique capability in Scotland.
We are also the only Scottish headquartered law firm with a Brussels office, enabling us to keep close to European regulations and emerging trade rules and provide insightful thought on their impact in relation to domestic markets.
Land, Agriculture & Rural Business key highlights
- Largest team of specialists in Scotland dedicated exclusively to land and rural businesses.
- Representatives from our team sit on key sector technical committees for Scottish Land and Estates and NFU Scotland.
- Our Land Registration Team has in excess of 200,000 acres actively undergoing registration at any one time.
- Law Society of Scotland accredited specialists dealing with advisory and contentious agricultural tenancy matters.
- Our partners are regularly appointed trustees and non-executive directors of client trusts and boards in the rural sector.
- As well as a large UK client base the team has built up expertise and reputation in advising non-domicile landowners with rural property interests.
The Brodies team has an unrivaled knowledge of the agriculture and estates discipline. They have a can-do attitude, and no issue or timescales seem to ever be a problem. In terms of value for money, they cannot be faulted. Highly recommend.Legal 500 UK 2024
Brodies is very responsive and clearly focused on delivering an excellent client service. The relevant members of the team were very knowledgeable and clearly knew their subject matter well.Chambers UK 2024
We recommend Brodies for its depth of knowledge and ability to deal with complex transactions. It has knowledge and expertise as well as being solution-orientated.Chambers UK 2024
Excellent personal service, great honest advice, may not always be what you want to hear but straight talking and practical, excellent knowledge, up front with costs, no unwanted bill surprisesLegal 500 UK 2023